Genealogy & Local History
T.B. Scott Free Library Genealogy & Local History Room
3rd level of the library
- Two microfilm reader-printers (15¢ per page.) ScanPro reader-printer can also generate digital (.pdf) files of microfilm images.
- Obituary Index on microfiche to local newspapers on microfilm from 1875 to most recently filmed.
- Federal and State Census microfilms for Lincoln County from 1836 through 1940.
- Print collections include Local & Regional History, Wisconsin Collection (featuring works by and about Wisconsin and Wisconsinites), Genealogy Collections (including over 50 volumes of the Germans to America passenger list index), & the North Pines Genealogy Group’s collection (for onsite use).
- Local & Regional History includes: family histories, City Directories from 1887 to present, histories of Merrill and Lincoln County, Lincoln County Plat books from mid-1890s to present, and a variety of material representing adjacent counties and the Upper Wisconsin River Valley.
- A complete run of Merrill High School yearbooks from 1895 to present, in addition to partial runs of Lincoln County Normal School Mah Wahs from the 1920s to the 1940s, and Prairie River Middle School yearbooks from the 1990s to present, are available at the Reference Desk.
- Wireless Internet access – (though printing available through wired units only).
T.B. Scott Free Library Indexes to Pre-1907 Northern Wisconsin Marriages
A statewide project procured Pre-1907 Northern Wisconsin marriages. T.B. Scott Free Library was granted permission by Project Coordinator Joy Vancos of Rhinelander, WI, to publish print copies of pre-1907 marriage indexes for in-house use only for the following counties:
Additional indexes from other coordinators are available for the following counties:
If you have ancestors who were married in 1907 or earlier in one of the above-named Wisconsin counties, you may email us with your simple lookup inquiry. If a match is found, we can email you the page(s) containing the information you seek.
We can refer you to a local genealogist if we determine your request is more complex.
Proper attribution must be made to:
- Joy Vancos
- Wisconsin Historical Society
- T.B. Scott Free Library
Any commercial application of this data may be replicated only with permission of the Wisconsin Historical Society.
While T.B. Scott Free Library has no established fee for research done on a remote basis, the library accepts and welcomes donations in an amount you determine to be appropriate. Checks may be made to T.B. Scott Library, and mailed to T.B. Scott Free Library, 106 W. 1st Street, Merrill, WI 54452, Attn: Director Laurie Ollhoff.
Ancestry Library Edition By subscription. In library use only. Provided by WVLS, Wisconsin Valley Library Service. (Includes Social Security Death Index.)
HeritageQuest Online Provided through Badgerlink.
Newspapers on Microfilm Complete list of Microfilm Newspapers that the T.B. Scott Free Library offers.
Genealogy Contacts and Resources
Local Genealogist Contact Sharon Karow: SLKarow9@aol.com
- North Pines Genealogy Group P.O. Box 132 Merrill, WI 54452
- Web Page: www.northpinesgenealogygroup.mysite.com
- Meets at 6:00 p.m. 3rd Thursday January through May and August through December at T. B. Scott Library. Dates subject to change.
- Membership brochure available from the P. O. box address above.
Merrill Historical Society & Museum
- 100 E. 3rd St. Merrill, WI 54452
- Web Page: merrillhistory.org
- Email: MerrillHistory@Outlook.com
- Office Hours: Mon. – Fri. 10am – 1pm (Call for an appointment during these hours)
Wisconsin History Resources
Central Wisconsin Digitization Project – Includes photos of the Lincoln and Marathon County railroads, schools, libraries. T. B. Scott Library was a major contributor to this project.
Wisconsin Blue Books online – Published annually from 1879-1883 and then biennially since 1885 to the present day, the State of Wisconsin Blue Book is the primary one-volume reference source about the state, documenting the organization of the state’s three branches of government (legislative, executive, and judicial). Covers 1879 to current (the library also has print copies of the Wisconsin Blue Book).
Wisconsin Magazine of History Archives – Search, read and print past issues of the Wisconsin Magazine of History! This free online access to the Wisconsin Magazine of History is made possible by a generous grant from the Schoenleber Foundation of Milwaukee.
Wisconsin History Research
T.B. Scott Free Library
106 West First Street
Merrill, WI 54452
Telephone (715) 536 - 7191
Monday: 10:00 am - 7:00 pm
Tuesday: 10:00 am - 7:00 pm
Wednesday: 10:00 am - 7:00 pm
Thursday: 10:00 am - 7:00 pm
Friday: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Saturday: 10:00 am - 1:00 pm